We’re using Ruby 1.9.2-p194 for HelloRubyTuesdays at our weekly Women Who Code Rails night! So it was time for me to install 1.9.3. I ran into two errors before I got a successful install, so here’s how google searches helped me fix them.
1. When I first typed
$ rvm install ruby-1.9.3-p194, I got this error, which ended like:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
More details here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html
curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
using the --cacert option.
If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
not match the domain name in the URL).
If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
the -k (or --insecure) option.
ERROR: There was an error, please check /Users/judytuna/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p194/*.log
ERROR: There has been an error while trying to fetch the source.
Halting the installation.
ERROR: There has been an error fetching the ruby interpreter. Halting the installation.
Wut? Can’t download? Is there something wrong with my curl? Do I have to pull in a bundle of certificates? Initial searching suggested downloading certificates, but I kept looking for a simpler solution. Finally, this answer on stackoverflow provided a fix that was easy to try, and I knew it wouldn’t break anything–it suggested updating rvm, which has the new certificates, and pointed out that rvm doesn’t live at beginrescueend.com anymore. The command to update rvm is also viewable at rvm.io. It is as follows:
$ curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable
After that, rvm was able to download the ruby I wanted!
2. So the installation progressed like so, until…
judymbp:HelloRubyTuesdays judytuna$ rvm install ruby-1.9.3-p194
Installing Ruby from source to: /Users/judytuna/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p194, this may take a while depending on your cpu(s)...
ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #downloading ruby-1.9.3-p194, this may take a while depending on your connection...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 9610k 100 9610k 0 0 385k 0 0:00:24 0:00:24 --:--:-- 449k
ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #extracting ruby-1.9.3-p194 to /Users/judytuna/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3-p194
ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #extracted to /Users/judytuna/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3-p194
ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #configuring
ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #compiling
Error running 'make ', please read /Users/judytuna/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p194/make.log
There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.
Opening up the log file showed me a whole bunch of
warning: implicit conversion shortens 64-bit value into a 32-bit value all over the place, and then this at the end:
tcltklib.c: In function ‘tcltklib_compile_info’:
tcltklib.c:10032: warning: implicit conversion shortens 64-bit value into a 32-bit value
linking shared-object tcltklib.bundle
ld: in /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib, missing required architecture x86_64 in file for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [../../.ext/x86_64-darwin11.4.0/tcltklib.bundle] Error 1
make: *** [ext/tk/all] Error 2
make: *** [build-ext] Error 2
So, something about 32-bit vs 64-bit. One of the google searches turned up a pragprog forum thread, and Sam R’s post linked to a blog post celebrating the release of 1.9.3 which contained a solution to my problem! make was using the libiconv.2.dylib in /usr/local/lib/, but we want to use the one in /usr/lib. You can see that the /user/lib one is the one that had x86_64 by looking at the
file output of those files:
judymbp:HelloRubyTuesdays judytuna$ file /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
judymbp:HelloRubyTuesdays judytuna$ file /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
So I backed up the one at /usr/local/lib (because I’m paranoid, I guess) and followed the instructions in the blog post to symlink that location to the one in /usr/lib. Here’s what I did:
$ sudo mv /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib.bak
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
$ rvm install ruby-1.9.3-p194 worked. Yay!